Saturday, July 4, 2009

On seeing heaven


Yesterday Jane Stranz told her encounter with a tree, or more precisely, the beauty of a tree. And, really, not just of that tree. It's one of these instances when a life's moment takes on the quality of eternity and we are given a glimpse of heaven.

Beauty is not always visible to us. When I don't see it I easily conclude it's not there or not real. When I do see it, I know it's everywhere. It is beauty that overcomes violence, as a friend told be years ago when I asked her how she thought violence could be overcome.

It is in nurturing our capacity to see beauty that this world becomes a better place. That I'm sure about.

1 comment:

  1. The only way. The question many people then pose is - what do we mean by 'beauty' ? Beauty is indeed 'in the eye of the beholder'... someone once wrote that beauty is a 'shot of ecstasy to the soul'. I'm sure it's that and more besides, but what do we mean by beauty? The fullness and wonder of anything that is created through love, for love? Some people find beauty in the gleaming sharp edge of a sword...

    ReplyDelete