Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Snow and flowers


On Monday morning I visited a lonely elderly farmer in the Jura. As I drove up to his house he stood on a heap of snow that had come down from the roof and shoveled some of it off, so it would not block the view from the kitchen window. Upon my arrival he stepped down and showed me the other side of the old farm house - at least one meter of snow still. Then yesterday as I walked out of the Geneva train station I was surprised by a range of shining daffodils in full bloom, strong and tall. Now this morning as I walked out of the house - it is below the Jura farm but higher up than Geneva - I found crocus and perce-neige, literally: snow-drills by the house - they had appeared over night just as soon as the snow was gone.

The contrast between the Jura mountains and Geneva is striking this year. My friends up there must wait weeks before they can plant, while down below the planting season is off to a quick start. Nature is curious, strange, surprising, eccentric, persistent, strong. It can't be fooled, but it fools us regularly. It has done so many times this past winter, which up here is not quite over yet. I love snow - the more the better and it doesn't bother me that it brings high-tech civilization to a halt once in a while. There is something very reassuring and comforting in natures "caprices" in times where so much is intended, assumed or pretended to be under control. Essentially things made by humans are not so much under control as they are hectic, pretentious and incapable of producing real and profound comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Yet we humans are part of nature, too! We speak of us and nature as two but we are all part of the one creation. No one spoke more eloquently of this than St Francis of Assisi, who saw God in all he had made.
    Humans, too, are capable of 'caprice', of spontaneity, of creativity, of authentic growth. It is when we behave outside of the nature our creator gave us, that things go badly wrong.
    What is our inherent 'nature' as part of nature itself? If we are made in the image of our creator, then living justly, mercifully, and humbly is our natural state...

    ReplyDelete