Sunday, March 29, 2009

Magnum Mysterium


One of my best discoveries in music recently was a CD dedicated to the memory of Ingmar Bergman. I found it in the bookshop of the Bose Monastery, which by the way is a most beautiful place and community. The beauty of Magnum Mysterium fits perfectly with the beauty of Bose. Jan Lundgren, grand piano and keyboards, and Lars Danielsson, bass and cello, with the Gustaf Sjökvist Chamber Choir have created a treasure of sacred choral music intertwined with the rhythm and harmony of jazz.

Ingmar Bergman said of himself that he was not a believer, "yet I believe that music has been given to us to give us a glimpse of realities and worlds beyond the one we are living in."


2 comments:

  1. And I think poetry, dance and art can do the same - being the sort of unbelieving believer that I am.
    I do agree Bose is beautiful - when I was there at about this time of year there was teh most wonderful perfume from the witch hazel that we flowering - hammemelis - the skies were blue and the mountains snow topped but the perfume told us spring was coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Back to the Creator idea again ( which I think I touched on in an earlier comment?)... anything we CREATE, reveals/connects something of the Creator to/in us. The arts - in all their forms - are indeed direct pathways to God, however she is percieved. Every time we create something, we are inhabiting the nature of the God from whom we came...

    ReplyDelete